• Blog >
  • Protect Your Pet from Poisonous Plants
RSS Feed

Protect Your Pet from Poisonous Plants

Protect Your Pet from Poisonous Plants This Holiday Season

Holiday plants may be beautiful to behold, but they can pose a risk to you little furry companion. Many traditional holiday plants are toxic to both dogs and cats, putting them at risk for accidental poisoning.

If your pet gets sick from eating holiday flora, contact a veterinarian from The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt, in Summerfield, NC, right away for emergency vet care. Here are a few ways you can protect your pet from plant poisoning during the winter holidays:

Restrict Access to the Christmas Tree

No Christmas is complete without a live tree. Yet, real trees can pose a risk to pets, especially pine trees. A curious pet may eat some fallen pine needles and unfortunately suffer liver damage. By restricting access to the tree, you can protect your pet from harm.

Opt for Artificial Poinsettias, Mistletoe, and Holly

If you have a pet, deck the halls with artificial holly as opposed to the real deal. Holly leaves and berries are extremely dangerous to pets when ingested, and may cause abdominal pain and vomiting. Real mistletoe can have similar results. In severe cases, mistletoe can cause a drastic drop in your pet’s heart rate and blood pressure, or even seizures. Chewing or sucking on poinsettia leaves can lead to vomiting. If your pet ingests poisonous holiday plants, call your veterinarian in Summerfield, NC, for emergency vet care.

Restrict Pets from Consuming Holiday Snacks

Many favorite holiday snacks like chocolate, nuts, raisins, grapes, and other holiday candies are toxic to dogs and cats. Make sure your pet is supervised when serving these snacks to avoid accidental poisoning. To be on the safe side, avoid sharing any holiday food with your pet. By getting his own holiday snacks, your pet will be less tempted to snack on yours.

Call Your Vet

Poisonous plants can have a devastating effect on a beloved pet. At the first sign of plant poisoning or any pet illness this winter season, contact your local vet from The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt, in Summerfield, NC. Call 336-643-2229 today for all your pet care needs.

Holiday plants may be beautiful to behold, but they can pose a risk to you little furry companion. Many traditional holiday plants are toxic to both dogs and cats, putting them at risk for accidental poisoning.

If your pet gets sick from eating holiday flora, contact a veterinarian from The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt, in Summerfield, NC, right away for emergency vet care. Here are a few ways you can protect your pet from plant poisoning during the winter holidays:

Restrict Access to the Christmas Tree

No Christmas is complete without a live tree. Yet, real trees can pose a risk to pets, especially pine trees. A curious pet may eat some fallen pine needles and unfortunately suffer liver damage. By restricting access to the tree, you can protect your pet from harm.

Opt for Artificial Poinsettias, Mistletoe, and Holly

If you have a pet, deck the halls with artificial holly as opposed to the real deal. Holly leaves and berries are extremely dangerous to pets when ingested, and may cause abdominal pain and vomiting. Real mistletoe can have similar results. In severe cases, mistletoe can cause a drastic drop in your pet’s heart rate and blood pressure, or even seizures. Chewing or sucking on poinsettia leaves can lead to vomiting. If your pet ingests poisonous holiday plants, call your veterinarian in Summerfield, NC, for emergency vet care.

Restrict Pets from Consuming Holiday Snacks

Many favorite holiday snacks like chocolate, nuts, raisins, grapes, and other holiday candies are toxic to dogs and cats. Make sure your pet is supervised when serving these snacks to avoid accidental poisoning. To be on the safe side, avoid sharing any holiday food with your pet. By getting his own holiday snacks, your pet will be less tempted to snack on yours.

Call Your Vet

Poisonous plants can have a devastating effect on a beloved pet. At the first sign of plant poisoning or any pet illness this winter season, contact your local vet from The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt, in Summerfield, NC. Call (336) 643-2229 today for all your pet care needs.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Friday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

7:30 am-12:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Testimonials

Feedback from our clients

  • "I have been taking my 16 year old lab, Oscar, to this vet since he came to me in 2004, and I wouldn't take any of my dogs anywhere else! They are so wonderful with both pets and people. I would recommend any of the doctors and staff to anyone."
    Erin H
  • "We have been going to another vet for years. We wanted to have our year old Wheaten Terrier, Rylee spayed by laparoscopy so she would have less pain and be back to her usual activity in 2-3 days instead of 10-14 days. Our vet does the traditional spay. We had a consult meet and greet with Dr. Courtney Pierce. She answered all our questions and so friendly and professional. They have a state of the art OR suite. Rylee did great. On post op day three she spotted a squirrel and did an all out chase with no ill effects! All the staff were great."
    Linda A
  • "I love Dr. Jernigan at AHLB and would never take my dog anywhere else! The staff is excellent with animals and always professional, courteous and respectful to owners. I have trusted this animal hospital for all of my dog's care, including check ups, surgeries (she's had three!) and for boarding when we have to go out of town. Every experience I have had here has been wonderful and I highly recommend their services to anyone looking for a veterinary office for their furry children!."
    Avery C