An Active Dog is a Happy Dog
Staying active is an important part of our life to keep our weight in check and our bones and joints healthy. The same is true for our furry friends. They need proper exercise to stay healthy and burn off excess energy.
Exercise is important for your pets’ well-being. Not just for their bodies, but also their behavior.
Dogs that don’t get enough exercise may act out to get rid of excess energy, especially puppies and certain breeds. If your dog has chewed up furniture or your favorite shoes or if you have holes in your yard, your dog needs more exercise.
At our practice, The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt in Summerfield, we can give you exercise advice for your pet’s lifestyle.
How Much Exercise is Enough?
Different dog breeds have different exercising needs. Of course, not all dogs of a specific breed act the same, but there are certainly similarities in behavior and physical traits.
Below are some of the breeds that need the most exercise and how much exercise they need:
- Border Collies: Border collies need at least 30 to 60 minutes of exercise, whether it is walking or running. In addition to this, they need mental challenges to stimulate their minds.
- Australian Cattle Dogs: These breeds are very smart, highly energetic, and crave activity. Two hours of exercise and mental stimulation a day is what they need.
- Labrador Retrievers: Labradors are one of the most popular dog breeds in the U.S. They are great hunting and service dogs. Labs love the water, so if you have a pool, your Lab will love splashing around. 30 minutes of exercise and 2 hours of fun activities are a must with these dogs.
- Jack Russel Terriers: These have a lot of energy and are known for how high they can jump. Jack Russell terriers need plenty of exercise, at least an hour a day.
- Golden Retrievers: Golden retrievers have very sweet dispositions. They also are trained as hunting dogs and love the water just like Labs. 20 to 30 minutes of playtime twice a day is what these dogs need for exercise.
Let Our Veterinarians in Summerfield Help Your Pet
We love pets almost as much as you do. Our veterinarians offer a range of services for puppies to those in their golden years. The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandt wants to make sure your pet’s health is as good as possible. Please contact us today at 336-643-2229 to make an appointment. You will be glad you did.